Owning a Park Home

Things you should know about owning a park home

Most homes are connected to mains water and electricity and usually gas, too.  For water, electricity and gas (but not LPG supplies), the regulators (e.g. OFWAT) ensure that the park owner must "pass through" the cost of supply.  So he/she must not add an additional margin to the resale price to the resident.

Park homes do still need annual maintenance - particularly, it is good to check the outside walls and roof, re-coating in accord with the manufacturer's handbook.

The Communities and Local Government Factsheets, forms and guidance provide a great deal of information about buying/selling and living in a mobile home.  Particularly useful is the downloadable Factsheet about selling or gifting a mobile home.

Commission: The park owner is entitled by law (agreed by Government in the Mobile Homes Act) to receive a commission from the buyer of up to 10 per cent of the total sale price of the home.  This is included in the Implied Terms in the Written Statement.  The site owner must be notified of completion of the sale and assignment of the agreement, and this commission paid within 7 days from receipt of his bank details.  (The payment is in recognition of the park owner's investment in the land and infrastructure of the park.)

Renting a park home

Some park operators offer park homes for rent - for example under an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. As well as a rental agreement, you should be provided with specific information, including the park rules, a copy of the gas safety certificate and a booklet entitled “How to rent: the checklist for renting in England”.

NB it is not usually possible to rent a home directly from the park home owner.