General Questions

I have seen some lovely caravans on a holiday park. Can I live in one?

Caravan holiday homes are not suitable for year-round residential use. They are built to be used as leisure accommodation and do not (usually) comply with BS3632 residential standards. In addition, the park must be licensed by the local authority for residential use. Residents on a park licensed for holiday homes will not have the protection of the Mobile Home and Housing Acts. Make sure you check the park's site licence before you buy.

What are my rights - and obligations - as a park home owner?

Communities and Local Government has produced a useful fact sheet explaining these and what happens if the agreement is terminated, gifting of the home, re-siting, owners rights of entry and more.

Can I occupy the residential park home all year?

Yes. A residential park home is designed for all year round occupation.

Are there parks specially for retired people?

Yes, in fact, the majority of park home parks are specially for older or retired residents. See find a park for details.

Can my pet live with me in on a park?

Most - but not all - parks will accept pets, so it is worth checking before you buy to make sure your trusty companion can come with you. See our parks guide.

Should I get my park home surveyed before buying?

If you are buying an older home, it is advisable to get a full survey, just as you would with a house. It is important that the surveyor gives you an opinion on the condition of the home and any repair work necessary.

How do I arrange insurance for my park home?

Insurance for residential park homes is provided by specialist companies, such as Towergate Bakers. Specialist insurers can offer comprehensive cover at competitive prices. Note: It is important that you arrange cover for your home for items not covered under the Gold Shield Ten Year Warranty, as well as your contents.

Can I rent out my residential park home?

Almost certainly not. A residential park home is a residential unit and the park licence conditions will generally not permit sub-letting.

Why is my park owner asking residents about having new park rules?

There have been recent changes regarding park (site) rules. Any residential park that wants to continue to have rules must follow a process in which the park owner consults with residents over those rules - and with the Qualifying Residents’ Association if applicable. Once they’ve been agreed by the residents and the park owner, these rules must then be deposited with the Local Authority (by 3 February 2015).