Stay Safe

General safety
The best action you can take to ensure your general safety is to buy a park home built to BS3632 from an NCC member.

Flooding and park homes: minimising the risk

For home owners: You should check whether your caravan is sited in an area at risk of flooding – you can do this at Environment Agency website by entering your postcode. The Environment Agency has a 24-hour telephone information service, Floodline (0845 988 1188), which provides a quick-dial number for direct access to any recorded flood warnings in your local area.

If you are in a flood-risk area, your park should include information (e.g. at reception or other public areas, or with your annual pitch fee request) about their plans should there be a flood. 

Make yourself aware of the location of assembly points and where flood warning information signs would be located.  Owners should take advice from the park staff and of course co-operate with the emergency services, if necessary.

For parks: There is a very useful jointly-produced publication that gives practical advice to park owners on how to best protect their residents from the risk of flooding – it can be downloaded here

Gas safety 
Your BS 3632 residential park home will have been built, and the gas appliances installed in it, in accordance with the safety requirements of UK legislation, the associated Industry Codes of Practice and British/European Standards.

For important information about gas safety, download the Stay Safe leaflet.

It is essential to maintain your park home to prevent any risk to you and your family and appliances should be serviced regularly. Work done on gas appliances must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer – see the Gas Safe Register website.

Smoke alarms
Park homes come fitted with smoke alarms.  They should be regularly tested.

Carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless, tasteless and highly poisonous gas so it is vital to have proper protection from this invisible killer. Since 2005, NCC member manufacturers have been fitting two Type B [audible and visual] carbon monoxide alarms that comply with BSEN50291:2001 and BSEN50292:2002 in their homes.  Note: these alarrms need regularly replacing - check on the alarm for its expiry date.

If your home was built before that, the NCC recommends at least one alarm that complies with the above standards (these can be purchased e.g. from DIY stores). 

Separation distances
For health and safety reasons (and for privacy) a 6 meter separation distance is required between residential caravans.